Violence Against Women Forum
VAM Board Member, Janet Edna Nyame, represented VAM at the Violence Against Women Forum in Takoradi, Ghana.
Visit to Equatorial Guinea
VAM President and Board Members where invited to Equatorial Guinea on a Fact Finding mission. Our team was invited by the 1st Lady, H.E. Constancia Mangue De Obiang, to visit programs that have been provided to help the people.
View Description of Programs
11th Annual Sunshine Beyond Summer Celebration
Mrs. Randall represented VAM at the 11th Annual Sunshine Beyond Summer Celebration held in Los Angeles, CA. This event was hosted by one of our collaborating organizations, Reed For Hope Foundation (www.ReedForHope.org).
Millennium Development Goals: 2013 Women's Progress Awards Gala
The Board of Directors of Voices of African Mothers along with the Reed for Hope Foundation and Bethesda Counsel extended an invitation to celebrate our First Annual presentation of the: "Millennium Development Goals: 2013 Women's Progress Award"
This award acknowledges the unwavering leadership, accomplishments, contributions and commitment of the courageous First Ladies of Africa and other women in senior leadership positions. Thanks to their efforts, the 2012 Millennium Development Goals' annual assessment noted that three (3) goals have been met ahead of the 2015 target date.
This important event provided three (3) days of networking and socializing with international dignitaries and delegates. A brief summary of events:
- June 11, 2013: Welcome Reception at the UN Millennium Hotel, which is directly across from the United Nations headquarters
- June 12, 2013: Business Forum at the UN Millennium Hotel, where goodwill trade and extensive opportunities was discussed with international trade delegates
- June 13, 2013: Honorees and Guests were greeted in the United Nations Delegates Dining Room for the "Millennium Development Goals: 2013 Women's Progress Awards" Gala.
We sincerely hope everyone enjoyed being an essential part of this historic evening as a sponsor or a guest!
Please view our Souvenir Gala Journal here!
US Doctors for Africa's 2nd Annual Summit
Mrs. Randall represented VAM at the US Doctors for Africa's 2nd Annual Summit. A coalition of African First Ladies in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Partnerships and the African Union Commission to the United States, was held in Los Angeles, CA with American business leaders and foreign assistance agencies to improve health care for women and children in Africa. (www.usdfa.org)
International Women's Day Conference
VAM Board Member, Janet Edna Nyame, represented VAM at the International Women's Day conference in Takoradi, Ghana. The international theme was “A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women”.
March 8, 2013
“A Harvest of Shame!”
VAM hosted a workshop with experts presenting the argument on how it is time to Harvest this Shame – uncover and discuss the shame of HIV/AIDS and violence against women and girls. Also, uncover the responsibilities of both men and women relating to caregiving – what has been accomplished in recent years and what is still being kept quiet.
Open here for VAM's final report from CSW57
June 14, 2012
The Voices of African Mothers (VAM) is an Organizing Partner of the Women Major Group for the Rio+20 United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
Join our side event and panel discussion...
"Impact of Plastics on the Environment and Health of Women and Children"
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 June 2012
13:30-15:00 in Room T-2
The Voices of African Mothers and their supporters have, as one of their ultimate goals, the presentation and establishment of a working alternative for sustainable community development opportunities during the build up to, through, and beyond Rio+20. VAM invites others of goodwill to join them to help develop a sustainable alternative that will influence the global plastics industry. Together they hope to bring about the changes needed to yield greater Global and Women’s Health reforms.
Visit conference web site for more details
March 1, 2012
"Plastic" - The Impact on Rural Women and Children
Thursday, March 1, 2012 - 6:15 PM to 7:45 PM
Church Center for the United Nations
The Drew Room, Ground Floor
777 UN Plaza, cor. 1st Ave and 44th St.
New York, NY
Download flyer with full details on this event
Nana Fosu-Randall received the Distinguished Leadership and Humanitarian Service Award from the National Council of Women of the United States
Member of United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP)
- December: "Planting Seeds of Peace" Annual Recognition Dinner
- May: Participated in 4th Implementation Cycle - Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD19) focusing on the Following thematic issues: transport, chemicals, waste management, mining and 10 year framework of Programmes on Sustainable Consumption & Production Patterns. VAM was a major organizing partner and steering committee member.
- March: Participated in International Preparatory Meeting for CSD19
- February/March: Commission on Status of Women (CSW55) in NY. VAM hosted a workshop on “The Impact of Education, Training, Science and Technology on Rural Women”
Listed in the 2010/2011 Yearbook of International Organizations
Named Co-Chair for Women’s Major Group of the Rio+20 Process
Registered as a Partner in Development with EuropeAid
- February: Members of the Women’s Major Group: (VAM-Voices of African Mothers, WECF-Women in Europe for a Common Future, ENERGIA-network on gender and energy, the Baha’i International Community and NVR Netherlands Women’s Council) compiled the 2011 policy actions in the area of Chemicals, Waste management, Mining, Transport and Sustainable Consumption and Production patterns for the Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD19). The recommendations by the Women’s Major Group were presented to the United Nations.
- March: 54th UN Commission on the Status of Women (CSW54) in NY. Hosted a workshop on “The Critical Role of Women in the Attainment of the Millennium Goals.”
- March: Nana Fosu-Randall made presentation at the 100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day at Sarah Lawrence College, NY.
- May: Commission on Sustainable Development (CSD18) in NY. VAM co-chaired the women major group sessions. Also hosted a workshop on the “Role and Importance of Ghanaian Women in Keeping Local or Family Poultry: The Case of Voices of African Mothers (VAM) Proposed Poultry Project in Ghana.”
- September: Hosted Benefit to Support the Roof Raising for Phase II of VAM Village. Honorees: Ms. Judith “Dr. Judy” Kuriansky, radio/TV host; Ms. Sheryl Underwood, 23rd Int’l Grand Basileus, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
- November: Official ceremony announcing Youth Ambassadors and Youth Delegates in support of VAM’s mission at UN Church Center, NY.
Selected as Official “Coordinating Partner” for the UN/DESA Secretariat for CSD 18-19 and a co-chair in charge of organizing and facilitating the Women Major Group of the RIO+20 Sustainable Development Summit for 2011
Member of Conference of NonGovernmental Organizations (CONGO) in Consultative Relationship with the UN
- March: VAM workshop held during the 53rd Commission on the Status of Women
United Nations, NY
- June: Music/Dinner/Auction fundraiser to “Support Sustainable Development for Women and Children of Africa.” Entertainment by Bipolar.
- July: VAM, in collaboration with MDG Global Watch-Suriname and under the distinguished patronage of the Ministry of Women and Children’s Affairs (MOWAC), hosted the 2nd Civil Society Forum. The theme “The Critical Role of Women in the Attainment of the MDGs.” University of Ghana, Accra, Ghana
- As an Organizing Partner for the UN/CSD Women Major Group, VAM co-facilitated the CSD18 in Ethiopia. The theme “Sustainable Consumption and Production for Sustainable Growth and Poverty Reduction.”
Granted Special Consultative Status to the UN by ECOSOC
- January: Nana Fosu-Randall, 1 month in Ghana meeting and working on VAM Village.
- February:VAM workshop held for 52nd Commission on the Status of Women
United Nations, NY
- March:Nana Fosu-Randall visiting students at Squannacook Elementary School about the current Global Learning Exchange program between Squannacook Elementary and the John William Montessori School in Ghana. Townsend, MA
- March: Northfield Mount Hermon, "State of the World." Nana Fosu-Randall spoke to the students, faculty and community on the situation in Africa and what VAM is doing to help. Northfield, MA
- April: Nana Fosu-Randall, 1 month in Ghana meeting and working within VAM Village and attending UN conference
- May: Nana Fosu-Randall presented at the 1st Millennium Development Goal's (MDG) Global Watch Conference on the theme “MDG: Reviewing Progress and Making it Happen; Unlocking Civil Society Potentials.” Paramaribo, Suriname.
- May: VAM became a full member of the United Nations.
- June: concert was planned, but due to the sudden death of John L. Randall, Nana’s husband, the concert was cancelled and no other fundraising was scheduled for the remaining year.
VAM-Tz is registered in Tanzania
- January: World Social Forum (WSF) in Nairobi, Kenya. Executive Officers participated in the 7-day conference and hosted a workshop under the Human Dignity and Human Rights Caucus (HDHRC). The theme “Working to Build Hopeful, Sustainable and Just Communities.” VAM
- January: VAM registered in Tanzania. VAM Executive Officers spent 5 days with VAM-Tz Outreach program attending workshops and the inauguration celebration of the VAM-Tz office.
- January: VAM Executive Officers spent 4 days visiting the Uganda Outreach Program
- February: VAM workshop held for Commission Status of Women 51 United Nations, NY
- June: VAM Benefit Concert with Guest Speaker: His Excellency Perezi Kamunanwire, Ambassador of the Republic of Uganda to the United States. Entertainment by: Tony Vacca of Tony Vacca's World Rhythms and Richard Hartshorne of Bach with Verse. Christ Church United Methodist, 520 Park Ave at East 60th, St, New York, NY
- September: Call To Men Conference. Nana Fosu-Randall spoke on violence against women. New Orleans, LA
- November: Kick Off for Global Learning Exchange. Nana Fosu-Randall visits with Fred Goldberg's 4th grade class to share cultures. Squannacook Elementary School, Townsend, MA
- November: "A Night of Peace" Nana Fosu-Randall speaks to the community of Townsend. Memorial Hall, Townsend, MA
- December: IIMSAM "Goodwill Ambassador Event." Nana Fosu-Randall made presentation to raise awareness of severe malnutrition. United Nations Headquarters, New York
Receives 501(c)3 Charitable Organization Status
- April: Fundraiser: “Tea With Fikile Magubane” - Guest speaker: H.E. Fikile Magubane , South African Consul General, Scarsdale, NY
- June: Nana Fosu-Randall spoke to raise public awareness of the situation in Africa and what VAM is doing to help. Grace Episcopal Church, Bronx, NY
- June: World Peace Forum 2006, VAM Executive Officers attended 9-day conference serving on the African Group Panel and submitting information on 9 wars in Africa, Vancouver, B.C.
- July: Fundraiser: “Miami Honors Voices of African Mothers.” Miami, FL
- September: Multimedia Awareness presentation on Voices of African Mothers and John William Montessori School. Yonkers, NY
- October: VAM Executive Officers meet with Sogakope villagers surrounding the site of VAM Village.
- December: Dinner Dance Gala Fundraiser "Peace is a Group Effort." Guest speaker: Ambassador Ibrahim Gambari, Under-Secretary General for Political Affairs at the United Nations. The Muriel King Taylor Peace Award was presented to to Kadiatou Diallo. Pelham, NY
Registered in the State of New York
- February: A seminar held at the Environmental Program and Training Centre,
- April: Hosted by: David Stott. Victoria Meeting House (Religious Society of Friends - Quakers)
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- May: Hosted by: David Stott. Mid Island Meeting (Religious Society of Friends - Quakers). Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
- September:Shipped two containers to Ghana filled with educational materials, clothing and miscellaneous items for use in VAM Village.
- October: Brunch/Dance/Art Sale fundraiser. "Planting Seeds of Peace" Brunch, Dance and Art Auction. Guest Speaker: Hon. Ernest D. Davis, Mayor of the City of Mt. Vernon, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY.
- VAM Executive Officers spend 4 weeks working in Ghana. Hosted 4-day seminar in Amasaman, Ghana.
June: The Inauguration of Voices of African Mothers, M-Plaza Hotel, Accra, Ghana
- July: 10th International Conference of War Tax Resistance and Peace Tax Campaigns. Theme: Women working for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence. Speaker: Nana Fosu-Randall. Brussels, Belgium
- July: Hosted by: New York Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Speaker: Nana Fosu-Randall. Silver Bay, New York, USA
- October: Theme: “Women, War, Violence, and Peace.” Speaker: Nana Fosu-Randall. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- October: Hosted by: Area Quakers. Speaker: Nana Fosu-Randall. Ithaca, New York, USA
Back to Top
Back to News & Events